Stabilising democracy online is one of the most important tasks currently occupying politics, industry and media regulators. The upcoming months will be characterised by the preparations of two groundbreaking initiatives: The Digital Services Act Package and the European Democracy Action Plan. Both proposals are crucial when it comes to protecting our democracy and fostering a free and resilient internet culture.
Safeguarding freedom – Stabilising democracy
Tuesday, 27 October 2020,
from 1.30 pm until approx. 4.30 pm.
General Welcome and Opening
- Welcome by Hans H. Stein, Director, Representation of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia to the European Union
- Opening by Vice-President Věra Jourová, European Commission
A – Disinformation
Setting the Scene
- Judith Möller, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam
Disinformation as a matter of fact(s)? What it means to…
- a platform: Stephen Turner, Director, Public Policy EU, Twitter Belgium
- a media authority: Michael O’Keeffe, Chief Executive, Broadcasting Authority Ireland
- a fact checker: Stefan Voß, Head of Verification, German Press Agency dpa
Ask an academic – Tobias Schmid interviewing
- Wolfgang Schulz, Director, Hans-Bredow-Institute for Media Research
25 Minutes Break
B – Law Enforcement Online / DSA
Setting the Scene
- Laura Braam, Team Leader Supervision, Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia
Asked an academic – Presentation of an expert opinion
- Mark D. Cole, Director for Academic Affairs, Institute of European Media Law (EMR)
What’s next? Concrete measures to strive for.
- Petra Kammerevert, Member of European Parliament
- Renate Nikolay, Head of Cabinet of Vice-President Jourová, European Commission
- Karim Ibourki, Vice Chair of ERGA and President of Conseil Superieur de l’Audiovisuel, Belgium
- Heike Raab (tbc), State Secretary of Rhineland-Palatinate
- Tobias Schmid, Chair of ERGA and Commissioner for European Affairs of the German Media Authorities
Current developments may require short-term changes to the programme.
- Agenda "Safeguarding freedom - stabilising democracy" [pdf, 263 KB]